[NAFEX] Subject: Re: test bulletin board/members

Toni Pralle toni.pralle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 21:06:14 EST 2008

I got a bit behind on email this week so I'll throw my comments in willy
nilly.

<<"I currently have a simple test bulletin board up on my personal
>> website.  ">>

One of my chicken groups has this format. I hate it. I don't participate
more than a couple times a year. I don't "know" anyone on there. It's a very
busy group so I must be in the minority.

<<Most of these people no doubt have a far more casual interest in fruit
> > than our typical member, at least right now. If you kick them off the
> > list, they won't join NAFEX. They'll just get their free information
> > elsewhere. If the list stays open to them, they might get hooked on
> > fruit, and THEN they're likely to join.>>

Here! Here! I am playing in my dirt. I wish I knew what I was doing but most
of the time I don't. My method is to get the seeds/plants outside and let
God take care of them. Other than the fruit tree fiasco, it's worked just
fine. But that might have been God's way of taking care of the bunnies,
so...........
I read about grafting and the Latin names/true names of fruits and mostly
roll my eyes. Someday I might know what is being said, but not today ;-) I
sometimes write to a couple of others on this group who write back and tell
me what I need to know. I don't want to clutter up everyone's mail box with
newbie questions that "everyone" already knows. And I always get great
response and more opportunity to discuss my dilemma. My on group questions
are always answered. This is a great group.

> > IMHO, making NAFEX more secretive and less open to prospective members
> > is exactly the wrong direction. We don't join NAFEX because information
> > is not available elsewhere. There's more information already available
> > online than any of us have time to read. >

So often I do find the information I'm looking for on line. Sometimes I even
understand it. On the other hand, there's nothing like having a real live
person who's already been there and done that to give advice. I take notes
from this group. I ask for details privately when something strikes my
fancy. I have learned so much already; mostly that I don't know anything!
And what a sounding board!! This is the nicest group I belong to. (Not
telling how many total!)

>However, I found that I was less and
> less interested in Pomona and the articles and more and more interested
> in the camaraderie, information exchange (more or less real time) and
> targeted information on the list.  The list represents a vibrant lively
> forum.  I would not like to see the list become closed, available to
> members only, etc.>>

Amen.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA