[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Sat Feb 16 17:22:20 EST 2008

Every organization has people who are deeply involved and others that
are sort of interested bystanders who may lack the resources, time, and
energy to actively pursue the purpose of the organization. Of course
there are many who fall somewhere in between.

Age does have of lot to do with limiting active participation in an
organization as people just starting their careers and families tend to
have limited financial resources and may not own property to plant trees
which require considerable land and many years to see ones efforts
produce a crop.  Such is not the problem with someone who grows African
Violets and can have a thriving hobby indoors in a downtown apartment.
The cost of land also varies widely across of country and parcel sizes
in LaJolla, CA are very small compared to those of track homes in
Midwest, Eastern, and Southern states.

The issue of getting experienced members to write about their
experiences before they die is a common problem and on many occasions I
have seen years of horticultural experience and plant material lost
because the children have no interest in maintaining the plants . Upon
death the property is bulldozed and the plant material carted off to the
dump because the owner didn't make provisions to insure the reults of
growing their plants for many years were not preserved and funds
provided for their transfer and maintenance to a site previously arrange
while the owner was alive.

The analysis of how to increase the membership in an organization who
are actively involved and a marketing analysis to expand the circulation
of a group's publication are not necessarily the same.

I propose an analysis that would have membership fees based upon the
services provided. For example, X dollars to be full voting member with
specific benefits such as placing orders for a seed fund or scion wood
exchange.

There are two costs of providing publications - the production of the
materials and the distribution of the publications to the members.  AThe
basic membership would include electronic distribution via pdf files
either by e-mail and/or by posting the files to a server.

The cost of printing a hard copy and mailing it would be an optional
extra fee that would cover the services provided to members choosing
that option.  Archiving the publications on CDs and on a web site would
be extra services that could be provided for a small per use fee or
purchase of the CDs.

The CRFG regularly used a printer and purchased extra copies that
required expensive storage space and exsomeone to mail out issues and
truck them to annual meetings for sale. Back issues were offered for the
cost of the year's membership plus mailing and handling fees.  They
choose to describe the publications as a membership service to avoid
charging sales tax - its an IRS thing relating to the publications being
a member service as opposed to offering the publications for sale on a
news stand or subscription basis.

For the record I prefer to follow the KISS principle - Keep It Simple
Stupid for web sites.

I am surprised that NAFEX has not encourage the development of regional
and local chapters, especially where clusters of members exist around
universities and colleges. Working with researchers also opens the
possibilities to interest young people who are interested in pursuing
careers in horticulture.

Hope this explanation helps to clarify my thoughts on why I support the
electronic communication as a means of attracting more people around the
world who find the WWW to be the best way to network with other
individuals - language being the last remaining barrier, but translating
software is becoming much better.  Thankfully so many people do speak
and write very well in English as their second language.

Claude Sweet
 San Diego, CA