[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

Robert Mullins mullins at gaelicmysts.com
Sat Feb 16 11:50:26 EST 2008

Hello all,

Thank you Linda for such accolades.  I am a basic designer and like to
keep things as simple as possible.  I am sure many of you have visited
bulletin boards before.  They are great because they are searchable, and
require very little in the way of computer power.  BUT, before any
decisions are made, perhaps it would be a good idea to get a 'TEST'
board up just to see how peoples systems respond to it.

I currently have a simple test bulletin board up on my personal
website.  Please be advised this is NOT a permanent board, but only a
test to see if peoples computers are able to handle it.  You can view
the board at;
http://wildcraftforums.gaelicmysts.com
You will need to register if you want to leave a comment, but don't
worry it's not a registration you will have to keep up with, as we will
be taking it down after a couple of weeks anyway.

In addition:
My motives:  many of you might be wondering what my motives are for
volunteering for this.
     1.  I have benefitted greatly from such esteemed growers already
from this mailing list and want to contribute in whatever way I can.  I
am just getting started with my orchard so in a very real practical
sense I am a growing moron.
     2.  I fear the future climate for growers, heirloom collectors, and
people who have the skill to actually do things is dwindling
dramatically.  Not to 'dog' walmart, but I personally am concerned about
the dying local community and all those millions of dollars that get
carted off from our little towns to parts across the globe.  So I feel
compelled to contribute.
     3.  I don't sell rootstock, scionwood, or any other nursery
plants.  Everything I do as a hobby I basically give away on a local
level.  I do not have any monetary interests in my volunteer work. (I
may write a book someday but I digress.)

Also:
If the board or whatever governing body of NAFEX decides to NOT do this,
that is perfectly 'OK' with me, I only want to do what is good for the
group.  Change is hard, and like many of you I don't command a hefty
salary.  In addition to my beginning orchard, my woodworking shop, my
multiple websites I manage, and five children I have plenty to do.  ;)
But if I can help in any way whatsoever I am willing.  This is a great
group and the combined wisdom is absolutely staggering to someone like
myself, I would love to see that wisdom preserved.

Finally:  (as if this weren't already long enough)
      All of my volunteer work for Pomona/NAFEX will be on THAT
particular website.  I do not claim ownership of anything I do for the
group.  I am merely volunteering any help I can provide.

If you have any questions for me specifically, feel free to email me at
mullins at gaelicmysts.com

With deepest regards,
Robert C. Mullins