[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 16 11:32:07 EST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Regina M. Kreger wrote:

> "I'm not a person who favors bells and whistles when they don't make
> sense and detract from site usability."
> Hear, hear!  I have DSL but a cheap laptop with not enough RAM, all
> those bells & whistles drive me nuts.  Plus, please, it should work on
> Mozilla........

It should work on all browsers on all platforms; and by "work" I mean
not just "open the main page" but that all features of the site should
work. This is less common than some may think. I had a Symantec site,
of all places, refuse to work properly with Firefox on Mac OS X. -- I
just checked, and note that the current NAFEX site seems to be working
fine with both Firefox and Safari on 10.3.9. Thank you, to the current
site designer (mangodance, is that you?).

The behind-the-scenes bells and whistles required to get sites to work
with all browsers, computers, and operating systems are genuinely
useful. The ones that make things blink on and off on the page, or
drift in one at a time doing somersaults, are only annoying. Not only
do they slow things down, but they make it hard to actually read the
information on the site. (Hint to people writing presentations: this is
true of those too, not just of web pages.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly