[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

L. Watson soldago at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 10:16:56 EST 2008

I'm a new member of NAFEX who learned about it from an enthusiastic
member at a native-plants conference last summer. I joined because I
wanted to learn from those who knew what the best cultivars and
techniques were so I could make the best use of my limited land to
create an edible forest garden and deal with our ongoing drought.

I'd love to see NAFEX accept with enthusiasm Robert Mullins' very
generous offer to put Pomona in PDF form and rework the website. I'm in
marketing and website design too and know that a good designer makes the
content and medium work for the audience, not against it. Professional
presentation will make it easier to find and understand what you are
looking for and will attract new members.

On the other hand, if Pomona becomes reprints of selected emails posted
on this list, then it becomes worthless to me. Even now, it is much less
valuable to me than this list and the prospect of going to a conference
or on tours. Different members join for different reasons.

It's distressing to see people who love plants *and* technology scorned.
I'd also hope for a more welcoming term for new members who want to
learn from the core members than "parasites." I hope in a few years to
have enough experience to add to the discussion.

... Linda