[NAFEX] Rootstock for Flowering Almond?

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 20:39:15 EST 2008

My daughter has an 8 ft "Flowering Almond" tree (I know nothing else about it) that is in an open southeast exposure, and is starting to bloom now (in Zone 7 west of Winston-Salem, NC).  It usually blooms in early March and the blossoms usually freeze about the time it reaches full bloom.  I would like to graft it onto some handy rootstock and plant the grafted tree in a norhtern exposure to delay bloom.
I am tempted to use one of the many wild cherry seedlings that appear everywhere here.  Anyone suggest a better rootstock?
Thanks,

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC