[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

mangodance bmn at iglou.com
Fri Feb 15 19:12:28 EST 2008

tanis cuff wrote:

> Please keep it simple!  Whatever works on older & slower computers.
> I have yet to meet a gardener or orchardist who wants THE lastest
> computer & associated graphics.  And who can afford it?  I use
> friends' & libraries' mostly older computers.  Too many new websites,
> and "improvements" of older websites, don't work well or won't
> download at all on them.

This is paramount.  Web stats and surveys show that while many folks
have broadband, the majority do not.  Add to that that most rural areas
are on dialup or have shared slow service and it is clear than bandwidth
hog websites might be pretty, but they quickly cut off most of their
intended market.  We'll be going for easily maneuvered content
primarily.  We'll make other stuff available for folks who have
broadband and those who don't mind waiting, bu there will definately be
no splash pages, few java applications, no animations, etc.
Additionally, it should work a simply as possible due to software issues
as well.  While many of us do have newer software packages (me
included), many of us do not like the resource hogs newer software
versions have become (me included) and for no real good reason.  I'm not
a person who favors bells and whistles when they don't make sense and
detract from site usability.