[NAFEX] Membership: additional thought on fees

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 15 15:57:26 EST 2008

Something to remember about the affordability of fees: not only does
whether an amount seems like a lot vary drastically from person to
person, for many people it isn't just a question of "can I afford to
join NAFEX?" It's a question of, "how many of these equally worth while
and fascinating organizations/info sources can I afford to subscribe to
this year?" I get requests to join/help fund far more such groups --
even if we only limit it to groups involving fruit exploring/seed
saving/farming/environmental groups, and leave out all the others --
than I could possibly afford to pitch in on. Even after I delete the
ones whose finances or tactics I'm dubious or unhappy about, there are
still too many.

The decision is, at least in my case, partly force of habit. But
whenever I can't resist the temptation of adding somebody, the
likelihood is that somebody else, next time their renewal is up, will
be dropped off the list. For what it's worth, this email group
increases the chances that NAFEX stays on: I feel guilty enough not
writing articles for Pomona (I have no idea why it's so much easier for
me to post email), but I would feel guiltier yet staying on this list
if I let the subscription lapse. (just checked: I'm paid up through
summer 08.) But I found the email list through Pomona, not the other
way around. I no longer remember how I came across Pomona; but my guess
is that I picked up a copy either at a conference, or in the free
basket at the library. So I think conferences and libraries are good
places to scatter some around.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly