[NAFEX] Membership...the FUTURE of NAFEX?

mangodance bmn at iglou.com
Thu Feb 14 00:12:11 EST 2008

I don't want to harp on the money...but let me harp on the money <grin>.

I don't know that this would be healthy.  We want to continue to keep
NAFEX solid.  I'm not sure that relying on a handful of folks to foot
the bills on a voluntary basis for what would likely be a majority of
free members is going to further the organization.  More likely, it
would result in some hard feelings on the parts of those folks who have
supported both in deed and wallet.  I'm a board member and I still pay
dues.  I don't find it embarrassing.  I am happy to be a part of NAFEX
and wish to see it continue.  I can't think of too many orgaizations
with similar dues structure where you get the ability to get
advice/help/scion wood/sizeable publicaton/etc.  The same professionals
and supporters you mention do, in fact, get something by being members,
and more still through contribution.  Are we really saying that $1.60 a
month is too dear a price?

Don't get me wrong...I do believe there should be enough content
publicly available so as to encourage new members as well as provide
search engine fodder to drive traffic to the website.

Electronic journal copies should not be used to create differing levels
of membership costs.  Rather, they should be used to facilitate ease of
use, provide options, allow cost savings, and result in being able to
use money fr other programs in addition to not having to raise dues as
often.  NAFEX is not alone among groups with a limited revenue
generating capacity.    Further limiting this at a time when we're
starting to see the need to increase the organization's security doesn't
seem prudent to me.  I'm glad people understand the need for marketing
and cgrowing the membership.  I would hope we do not do that while
sacrificing financial security.  I've seen liberal honorary and free
memberships create shifts in small organizations much to their detriment
often enough that I'm just skeptical of the utility and practicality.
The gamble that a few deep pockets will create a free playground is too
great a risk IMHO.