[NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 13 09:20:56 EST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Regina M. Kreger wrote:

>  The e-copy could take the form of an e-mail with "teasers" linked to
> the full-text articles on the Web.  The e-mail would be forwardable,
> but access to the full articles would require membership & password.

The line "the email would be forwardable" reminds me that individual
email addresses should be either removed or disguised in any e-form, so
as not to be easily harvestable by spammers. Probably individuals
should have the option whether to have their addresses not shown at
all, or shown in a form easily recognizable to other individual humans
but not by search engines (as, for example,
organic101  at  linkny  you-know-what-to-put-here  com   )

On Feb 12, 2008, at 11:08 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:

> . However, in our particular chapter, I don't know of anyone who lives
> in an area that doesn't have a public library with public computers
> and high speed internet access.

Libraries here indeed have such things. And, at most hours, all the
computers are taken; you have to sign up, often in advance, for half
hour time slots. If you have personal email to deal with, or anything
else to do online, this doesn't leave much time for reading your NAFEX
info online. Even if the connection is fast, downloading and printing
it all out to take home and read later may not be either fast or cheap;
there's likely to be one printer for all the public computers, and a
per-page charge for printouts.

In addition, many rural people don't get to town every day, and have
other errands to do when they do get there which will take up all or
most of their time in town. Sometimes I don't get to town every week;
and I only live six miles away, have a car, and am physically quite
able to get around easily.

Aside from those comments: I see sense in all sides of this discussion,
so don't have much else to say here.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly