[NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Wed Feb 13 00:35:06 EST 2008

I was the original CRFG president when Paul Tompson, one of the founding
members, stepped down from running the organization. It social aspects
of the aspects was incorporated into the development of local chapters
to offset the fear of being involved with the California State
University at Fullerton.

The publication was gradually transformed from publication printed on an
old ditto machine to being composed on an IBM Selectronic typewriter.
Personal computer were just becoming available to the general public. I
wrote my copy for the Ortho All About Citrus and Subtropical Fruit Book
on a Radio Shack model 80.

I have found that some people have the ability to envision the
possibilities and others seem to live to see misfortune and disasters
around every corner.

The people at NAFEX seem as nice a set of people as the CRFG, but were
unwilling to set the membership fees to cover the expenses to provide a
more professional type publication. Too bad since the major reason
people join these types of horticultural organizations is access to
plant material, networking, and exchanging information. People who are
lucky enough to live close to a university or major city with an
existing horticultural society or club benefit from the personal
communications and friendships associated with attending meetings.

The younger generation of gardeners/horticulturists feel as comfortable
using the Internet as communicating with people face to face.  Many of
us who feel comfortable using the computer feel we establish friendships
using e-mails and prefer this method because it is relatively
inexpensive and far quicker than using the mail. I hardly use the phone
as I prefer to have a written record of my communications, rather than
having to take notes of a phone conversation.

When I suggested the idea of establishing a CRFG Internet Forum, I met
the same resistance as when I suggested archiving the Fruit Gardener as
pdf files on their web site and distributing each year's publications on
a CD.  Glad to hear they finally decided to establish a tiered
membership.  I am a life member and stay out of the way. I am much too
busy in the skating community to offer advice - someone might consider
it an offer to volunteer.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

PS: I worked with a new editor to revise the Citrus and Subtropical
Fruits book.  We did it all over the Internet, except for two phone
calls. It was much easier doing the research and fact checking. It made
the entire process a pleasurable experience.  Of course it helps to have
a great editor to colloberate with to make the process enjoyable.