[NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 12 23:08:28 EST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Claude Sweet wrote:

> The problems you are discussing have been discussed for years in
> the California Rare Fruit Growers with no progress because the
> majority of the membership consisted of older people who were not
> computer savvy and lacked a high speed Internet connection.
> Eventually their numbers have declined, but still no action to
> explore a second tier membership with a reduced rate electronic
> distribution.

I'm still catching up on email (car broke down in Redding, CA on
Saturday so I was stuck there a while) so I'm coming in on the middle
of this thread, but I wanted to say that CRFG has a couple tiers of
membership right now, including lower rates for a membership that
includes PDFs of The Fruit Gardener rather than a hard copy mailed to
you.

http://crfg.org/join.html

I know what you're talking about, though, Claude. I've struggled with
this issue on the chapter level.  I truly believe the email and
internet-phobia of some of our membership keeps us from reaching many
people, including younger people who were weaned on the internet.  I
am cognizant of the socio-economic issues around internet-
accessibility. However, in our particular chapter, I don't know of
anyone who lives in an area that doesn't have a public library with
public computers and high speed internet access.  Gosh knows I wish
our local chapter, or even CRFG at large, had a list as active as
this NAFEX list.  But for reasons I can't figure out, people are
resistant.  On the other hand, there are individual chapters that are
very with-it.  Santa Clara has a busy Yahoo Group list for its
members, for instance.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Treadle On: My current wishlist is a Bronze Embossed White, Kenmore
De Luxe 551Matching Cabinet Chair, Singer 500 carrying case, Necchi
treadle cabinet, National Art Deco treadle cab, Kenmore Art Deco
treadle cab