[NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Tue Feb 12 19:47:58 EST 2008

The problems you are discussing have been discussed for years in the
California Rare Fruit Growers with no progress because the majority of
the membership consisted of older people who were not computer savvy and
lacked a high speed Internet connection. Eventually their numbers have
declined, but still no action to explore a second tier membership with a
reduced rate electronic distribution.

I am the editor of a month news publication and bi-monthly journal for
our figure skating club with a membership of about 300.

The printing and postage were a financial burden. Since switching to
electronic distribution, I have been able to expand the number of
articles and include color photos. The files are prepared as a Word
document and then converted to a pdf file and reduced in size by using
Adobe Acrobat.

Recently I have begun to post the files to a host site to allow members
to download individual articles.

While the news publication contains only information that concerns our
members, the journal has a more generic content that would be of
interest to other skaters.  I am present working on an exchange system
with other editors who will supply original content in return for
articles I have written. I have formulated the journal as an on-line
class with discussion just as if club members were physically in a
classroom at an education institution.

I believe this approach would work well for other organizations who
understand that changes are needed to remain a viable group.
Organizations must attract and maintain a younger membership base and
then maintain their interest as they age, have children, and retire.

There is no reason to suppose that people from the USA and other
countries would not pay a nominal fee to benefit from being an
electronic member, especially if that membership provided special
benefits such as a seed fund. Most people who would join are likely the
same type of people who form the bulk of this electronic forum and
understand the networking benefits the electronic media provides.

http://members.cox.net/e-news/MainIndex.html

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA
USA