[NAFEX] Grapes dropped for frost prrotection

Ray Kaminski r-jkaminski at att.net
Tue Feb 12 16:47:17 EST 2008

Ernest you asked If I cover the grapes after they are lowered to the
ground.  No because I am afraid of rodents getting into them for
winter protection of their own. Usually there is enough snow to
protect them.  2 years ago there was very little snow , only a couple
of inches on the ground and we had a -11 degrees two nights in a
row.  I thought they would be damaged as they are suppose to  be good
to zero however the fact that they were out of the wind and close to
the ground with the heavy wire on top, no damage was sustained.  I
believe the wind dries out the wood and does a lot of damage to the
wood in most cases. This year there is enough snow so you can not see
more than the upright poles  in the area.  This year it snows lightly
almost everyday with the Lake Michigan effect.  Love it!  Ray