[NAFEX] Membership

MARIE ASHTON bwoodtx at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 21:24:36 EST 2008

If you are going to open up NAFEX to world members, which I think is a good
idea, you may want to consider changing the name to Fruit Explorers of the
World - FEW. Like William stated you change with the times and more forward.
I know that NAFEX as a name has a long and revered history but just consider
a world-wide name for a moment. I know that change is hard in anything but
new members would be nice and the information they would bring to the table
would be even nicer. Just think of what new members for example from England
could bring to the table about apple varieties and cultural practices.

It should be fairly easy to send out Pomona as a e-mail attachment in PDF
file form to members that are out-of- country. You have to get it to some
form just to print our paper copies. You could make the PDF Pomona a lower
membership rate as it does not cost anything to send it out, just a little
extra time in preparing the PDF file. That should satisfy the international
members.

There already is a world-wide professional horticultural organization, why
not a small grower organization. There are a lot of things that some of
these foreign fruit growers have knowledge of that might be of great
interest to all of us.

As some of you know, I have been working with pomegranates for some time now
and a lot of the good information has came from foreign sources (as well as
hands on experience). We now have a world-wide pomegranate organization that
has just started in the last few months. There is great interest and
membership is growing fast. This is just a example of what is possible.

Just something to think about. I like NAFEX like it is now but everything
changes as all of us should know better than most.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com