[NAFEX] Unidentified Apple Pest

John McCuan wawo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 16:35:06 EST 2008

Hello all,

  The other day as I was pruning one of my young apple trees, I pulled on  what I thought was just a withered leaf.  It was attached to the  branch by two white filaments, which I immediately thought were  insect-made.  As I examined it, I discovered the leaf had been  sort of mangled.  I grubbed around in it, and inside a tiny  stem-like tube was a 1/4 inch long brown worm.  Altogether I found  about 20 of these on my 8 young apple trees.

  Does anyone know what this is?  I looked in my pest ID books and wasn't able to find it.  What do I do about it?

  I live near Atlanta, Georgia, Zone 7 if that helps.

  Thanks very much!

  Melinda McCuan