[NAFEX] Temperature Under Snow

Ernest Plutko ernestplutko at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 11 16:18:58 EST 2008

It was -33 F this morning but the ground surface temperature was +18
F.  This is a huge temperature difference.  I understand in Siberia
fruit trees are bent over to grow along the ground so they will be
covered by snow in Winter.  These are called creeping orchards.  I
tried growing apricot and pear trees using this method for 5 years.
Trees did not die and I had some fruit but voles were eating up the
trees under the snow.  I am going to try again but I will have trees
up about 2 feet instead of a few inches.  I believe this is a very
good idea to explore. I let the bent trees grow normally and they
died.  But my son asked me about the pear tree in my yard.  I didn't
know I had a pear tree  but sure enough I had a large pear tree with
pears on it. First time it grew pears. Left over from the creeping
orchard experiment.   I ordered a wireless outdoor thermometer to get
more temperature readings.