[NAFEX] Temperature Under Snow

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 11 14:23:55 EST 2008

I am looking forward to more details on this trend concerning snow cover. I
have read an article once on dwarf apple trees grown treillised at an angle
so that they were almost completely covered by snow in the winter, for
protection.
Here, we have about three feet of snow right now, a temperature of -20 F
to-day, and the ground was not really frozen under the snow when I checked
about a month ago. (The snow came early in large quantity before the ground
had time to freeze.)
It has been my experience that fruit trees do usually well under a big
carpet of snow.

Hélène, zone 3-4, north of Ottawa