[NAFEX] American grapes

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Feb 11 13:28:11 EST 2008

Most of those can be pruned to cordons with spurs, though Seneca has to
be pruned to canes.  I prefer spurs on cordons as they are easier to
prune each year.  However, if you want you can prune all of them to
canes, such as the old Kniffen system.  Some varieties like Concord
will have slightly larger clusters when trained to canes.  Canes just
take more selecting and the system tends to confuse inexperienced
growers.  Also, it's easier to overcrop a young vine with canes instead
of spurs.
Mushroom compost is fine for young vines, and even older ones if you go
light. Young vines need fertility to get them going well, older vines
need a little, but not as much.   More important  is keeping the vines
watered, or better yet, mulched so they stay moist without
wet-dry-wet-dry watering and drying out.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.