[NAFEX] American grapes

Sue Christensen sue at hoodel.com
Mon Feb 11 11:52:22 EST 2008

Last spring I purchased a number of grapes for juice/jam and fresh
eating.  Despite regular watering, the extended drought may have
contributed to the very slow growth last year.  Also, an early
spring-like system led to early budbreak followed by freezes, so I
lost the initial leaves. This spring, I need to construct a trellis
to support them and I wondered which type of system you would
recommend for these varieties: Buffalo, Seneca, Concord, Steuben,
Cayuga, Sheridan, Red and White Swenson, Jupiter.

I'm in zone 6A PA, so I don't know if the instructions for northern
planting still apply (2-strand wire fence, prune plant to low-headed
double trunk).

Also, is it advisable to use aged horse manure or mushroom compost
with these grapes? I know these varieties are purported to be
vigorous in nature, but I dug the grape arbor space out of silty loam
grasslands that are somewhat skimpy in depth of friable organic
matter. I was wondering if giving them a "boost" at some growth point
was permissible this year.

Thanks for your advice.