[NAFEX] Membership

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Mon Feb 11 06:12:31 EST 2008

My dear Dr. Natelson,

I did not man that NAFEX should change the name.  However, the outlook and
policy should change in accordance with time.  Ways can be found out but the
organization MUST have members from ALL parts of the world.

ISHS have two types of membership.  For the second type, which is a lot
cheaper and whose subscription can be paid at the local office (for India it
is in New Delhi) in local currency, they keep one local representative.
That is why they have members from every part of the world.

NAFEX has done quite good work in the area of varietal improvement by its
informal kind of research.  It should not only continue, but expand.  There
is an unfortunate trend among the researchers of younger generation that
they do not like to work in the field of "fruit breeding".  The reason is
that it takes too long to get results and the chances of success are not 100
per cent.  So they prefer to work in other fields.  So growers organizations
like NAFEX can play quite useful role.  I have written quite a few articles
in Indian magazines and newspapers about NAFEX and have been trying to
persuade growers here to organize into bodies like NAFEX and initiate their
own research on testing of new varieties.

So let us think of ways of increasing the membership.  Something will
certainly come out.

Chiranjit Parmar

Nafex