[NAFEX] Grape plant survival

Ray Kaminski r-jkaminski at att.net
Sun Feb 10 20:35:45 EST 2008

     In reading about dropping blackberries from freezing I would
like to share my experience of dropping grape plants in a similar
way.  I have 15 grape plants total and 5 of these will not survive
the cold without help.  My grapes are spaced 10 feet apart in 3
rows.   Heavy wire is placed between the poles for support at 2 feet
high and 60 inches on top.   The grapes grow with an arm going each
direction from center of the plant on each wire. This is good if you
do not have to mess around with the plants, however if you have to
cut them from the wires and lay them on the ground it becomes a real
mess. They tangle up and when you go to pick them up in the spring
your problems really start when it comes to pruning. An easy method
of handling the tender grapes is to go a place that sells
construction material and get some of the heavy wire that is used and
placed into concrete when it is laid.  It is the heavy wire that has
squares of of about 6 inches.  It comes 5 feet wide and I place a 5
foot high by 7 foot long piece (side ways)  attached with "S" clips
to the support wires.  As the grapes grow during the year they attach
themselves to the construction wire. In the fall early (while still
warm after harvest) I unhook the "S" clips and lower the whole plant,
wire and all to the ground.   When you do this they will not go flat
to the ground right away but they work them selves down slowly with
out pressure and thus no breakage of any wood occurs.The weight of
the plants and the wire  on top, keeping them flat, will help to
bring  them to the ground.
In the spring you pick up the whole wire, grapes and all,  attach the
"S" clips again and you are ready
to prune without a tangled mess.
My brother saw my method and his comment was "Give the job to a lazy
man and he will find an easier way to do the job." He also uses that
method in central Wisconsin and loves it. If you have any
questions  please E-mail me.  Ray  Zone 4  N.E. Wisc.