[NAFEX] grafting wax

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Sun Feb 10 13:13:01 EST 2008

ummm, confession time: i know my reaction to a tree kote /tar product
is mostly a gut feeling i have about tar and trees.  it's maybe a
little more than rural myth, but it sure doesn't have a sciencey or
1st hand experience reasoning to back it up.  i just don't like tar.
i like beeswax and linseed oil instead.  it's a little fussier, but i
get good results.

as for lucky's point about parafilm, "No muss, no fuss, no need for
coating your hands with
oil(what would that do to impede callusing?), no need for any sort of
heater or messy brush."
the oil on the hands when you are using trowbridge's wax is this: if
you are heating the wax by using your body heat to get it pliable
enough to apply to the grafts, oiling your hands will prevent that
lump of beeswax/rosin/linseed oil product from sticking to your skin,
an otherwise very unpleasant product to remove.
i've never used parafilm for grafting this time of year - in the NW
it seems to really help to seal all the wounded surfaces of a new
graft with something that really keeps the rain out and the tree/
scion's moisture in. would parafilm really cover well enough on a
cleft graft or topworked tree, or does it only work on whip and
tongue style unions (smooth ones with out weird lumps...)?
getting ready for grafting season,

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet