[NAFEX] Membership

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Sun Feb 10 11:18:50 EST 2008

I am a NAFEX Member for the past 21 years and have been watching it.  I had
also attended the 2004 NAFEX Meeting at Columbia.

Yes, the NAFEX membership is declining and it should be a matter of concern
for everyone.

My suggestion is that the NAFEX should change its outlook.  It should not
remain NORTH AMERICAN but should turn ALL WORLD FRUIT EXPLORERS.  This is
the age of globalization and the world is shrinking.  So NAFEX should try to
have members from ALL parts of the world.  Now fruit exploration is not
limited to one continent.

The factor which is going to obstruct member enrolment from developing
countries is the exorbitantly high price of US dollar in developing
countries.  Forty dollars is a quite big sum even for university professors
from several Asian, European and African countries.  So something should be
thought about this.  Moreover, in many countries, it is nearly impossible to
remit subscriptions in foreign exchange.

I had raised this point at the NAFEX Board of Directors Meeting at Columbia.
I had also discussed this point individually with few members who were
there.

I once again suggest to find some way of having members from other countries
too.  I do not think that conservative policy is going to be good for the
health of NAFEX.

I have some sort of emotional attachment with NAFEX and feel greatly obliged
to this organization.  That is the reason I am continuing my membership
otherwise I also find it VERY expensive.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar

Chiranjit Parmar