[NAFEX] grafting wax

Lucky.PIttman at murraystate.edu Lucky.PIttman at murraystate.edu
Sun Feb 10 08:22:28 EST 2008

One word. Parafilm.
No muss, no fuss, no need for coating your hands with
oil(what would that do to impede callusing?), no need
for any sort of heater or messy brush.
I've not used Doc Farwells, and while it's probably
not a significant concern for anyone grafting fruit
trees, I have a friend who's a propagator for a large
west-coast nursery that turns out thousands of
Japanese maple graftlings every year, and she told me
they used Doc Farwell's ONCE and would never, ever do
that again - you could still see that god-awful
yellow splotch at the graft union 5 or 6 years later.
 Not aesthetically pleasing.

Fresh, steaming-hot cow manure was used with great
success, 'back in the day'.  I still mean to give it
a try.

Lucky