[NAFEX] Dwarfing interstem on pear?

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Fri Feb 8 16:06:20 EST 2008

Donna &/or Kieran wrote:
> Thank you.  Very interesting article, but Joe, if I could grow Conference...
> if I could grow Conference,

It may be a lot easier to grow a tree with a 8"-to-10" Conference
interstem than to grow a tree with an entire canopy of Conference.  I
double checked the article:
"Trees with ‘Conference’ interstems generally were the shortest, had the
narrowest spread, and the smallest CV" and
"If tree density were corrected for size, trees with ‘Conference’
interstems exhibited the highest production"
so they are specifically speaking to Conference as an interstem.

Does anybody on the list have access to the full article?  I am kind of
interested to know the other cultivars they looked at for interstems,
other than those listed in the abstract, and the length of the interstem.

-Joe