[NAFEX] Grape varieties for pergola

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Feb 7 16:15:10 EST 2008

If you want speed, use something with lots of vigor, like Niagara.
Once it's up there, you'll hate it unless you have a huge pergola as it
will grow so much it closes the sides off and turns the space under the
arbor into a cave.  A slower growing vine, well fed to get it up the
arbor, will be better behaved in the long run.  I have Swenson Red on
an 8 x 12 arbor.  It's not an excessively vigorous grape, but with good
care it has filled the arbor in it's third season.  One more year and
it will be a solid cover over the top.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.