[NAFEX] E-mail programmes other than Outlook Express.

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Thu Feb 7 12:00:37 EST 2008

With Mozilla's Firefox browser, I highly recommend the 'NoScript'
extension for increased protection when browsing. It prevents Java and
other scripting software from running on a particular website unless you
permit it. Since some viruses can be picked up just by browsing a
website (or so I hear), that's nice to have.

I use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client, and I'm happy with that. But
I'm not sure if it has any more protections than other email software.
The problem with Outlook Express - and all Microsoft software - is that
it's so common, therefore nearly always the first choice for virus
writers. I delete all spam without looking at it (it's usually pretty
easy to tell from the title and sender).

Make sure that, in addition to your anti-virus program (I use AVG -
there's also a free version available, if you're interested), that you
use a firewall. I'm paranoid, so I use a hardware firewall AND a
software firewall (the one that comes with the paid version of AVG). Oh,
yeah, I use A-Squared Anti-Malware, too. It protects in a slightly
different way than the others. You can't be too careful these days.

Good luck!

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
Elsewhere, in a sign that prices for ethanol are reaching all-time
highs, President George W. Bush today ordered an armed invasion of