[NAFEX] Northern Blackberries

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Thu Feb 7 09:23:58 EST 2008

Ernest Plutko wrote,"I dug up wild blackberries
from near Brainerd, Mn but they didn't make it here in zone 2b."

    I grow zone 5 blackberries here in zone 3.  Just before freeze-up, I
weight down all the canes with heavy fenceposts and iron pipes; a few canes
break but most don't.  I try to get the canes as close to the ground as
possible.  Then I wait for snow.  If it doesn't snow enough before January
comes, I take my snow blower and blow more on top of them because any branch
that isn't covered gets fried from Minnesota's dry wind.  I tried covering
with mulch but snow works better.
    There'll be those of you who will say, "That sounds like a lot of work."
What isn't?  Even baby sitting is a lot of work.  Altogether, I spend no
more than four hours putting that blackberry patch to bed, a 30' row.  The
alternative is to buy someone's fruit that has been shipped in from who
knows where AND my berries taste better.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: