[NAFEX] Dwarfing interstem on pear?

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed Feb 6 21:30:06 EST 2008

Dear all,
    I'm planning on ordering various blight resistant pears from Corvallis.  Calleryana rootstocks grow great here, but they get so big.  What do you all know about the use of dwarfing interstems for pears?  I see that they have OHXF 34, 51, 87 and 333.  They say they are compatible with both communis and calleryana.  Has there been much done with these as dwarfing interstems?  Are there known problems with such trees?  I could just use Magness, Maxine, or Warren as interstems on quince, but have been told that quince is as susceptible to apple borers as apple is.  This would be defeating part of my purpose in switching to pears, which is to avoid tree losses to those *&^#+*  borers.
    Please advise me before I do something stupid!  Thanks.  Donna