[NAFEX] pear vigor

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 20:41:40 EST 2008

Magness is quite fireblight resistant.  However, if blight manages to enter directly into scaffold branches (say via a violent hailstorm), then it is susceptible.

My tree lived and produced fine pears for about 20 years before this happened in the high-blight-pressure humid Southeast (N. GA).

Scab has not been a significant problem for me.

As far as vigor, the response to climate must be pretty different in the SE (Zones 7 & 8) because Asians are consistently more vigorous than the European-heritage pears here.

Anton
Zone 8