[NAFEX] Mulberry and zone questions

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Fri Feb 1 16:11:10 EST 2008

Ernest Plutko asked:  "Jim Fruth writes that he grows mulberries in Pequot
Lakes, Minnesota.
What variety of mulberry do you grow, Jim?   I saw a few red mulberry
trees growing on and around the University of Minnesota in St. Paul.
Saw a few white mulberry seedlings growing in Minneapolis.  Picked
black mulberries  a few years ago in Kansas and thought they tasted
good.  Never thought they would grow in zone 3a.  Jim, you are not far
from Brainerd what zone are you in, 3b or 4?"

Ernest,
    I have Morus alba and Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees.

    I am 23 miles North of Brainerd.

    Which zone am I in?  I have never seen a zone map that indicates 'a' or
'b' so I don't know which I am in.  Strangely, I receive catalogs whose
plants are recommended for 'a' and 'b' zones but their zone maps don't say
which is what.  Do you have a zone map with 'a' and 'b' on it?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: