[NAFEX] Brown rot-resistant plums

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Wed Dec 31 16:23:22 EST 2008

Mark, having just obtained the electronic version of Plums of North
America, I searched its cultivar database for brown rot resistance and
found the following info.  In addition there was info on many cultivars
that are very susceptible to brown rot, but I have not included it here.
-- Sam

Very resistant:
Raribank

Unusually free of brown rot:
Grand Duke

Very good resistance:
Lantz
Olean

Good resistance:
Opal

Resistant:
Crimson

Comparatively free of brown rot:
Milton
Wild Goose

Little or no brown rot:
Tecumseh

Comparatively immune:
Red June

Some resistance:
AU Roadside
Gracious

Tolerant:
AU Rosa
AU Rubrum
Rivers Delight
Waneta

Above-average tolerance:
Kenmore Plum

Few problems with brown rot:
Burbank Stoneless Plum
Rollingstone
Superior

Brown rot has not been a problem:
Jam Session

Moderately susceptible to brown rot:
Mount Royal

Other:
Golden Drop (Coe's Golden Drop): not as susceptible to brown rot as
Golden Egg
Kaga: not as much problem with brown rot as Tonka
Morris: more resistant to brown rot than Methley
Pottawattamie: escapes brown rot more than most of its kind
French Petite: no info
Stanley: very susceptible to brown rot; must be sprayed in humid areas

Also, peaches least susceptible to brown rot (from research at
Kearneyville, West Virginia):
Elberta
Glohaven
Babygold No. 5