[NAFEX] relative flavor of paw paws

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:39:51 EST 2008

David wrote  "I once walked with fellow fruit-nut friend Stuart Wilson
through a paw paw
experimental seedling orchard at the Wye Station on the eastern shore of
Maryland.  We sampled fallen fruit.  We couldn't tell ANY difference in
taste/quality
of the flesh from tree to tree.  I admit though, that our taste buds were
saturated
quickly, and we didn't use anything to "clear our palates" between trees."
That contradicts my own limited experience with paw paws.  I have 2 grafted
varieties, I think Sunflower and Overlease and the one I assume to be
Sunflower (much later ripening) tastes better to me but these 2 contrast
minimally compared to the huge improvement both show over 2 seedling trees I
had planted several years prior that were mostly seed and little fruit.