[NAFEX] late peaches

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 21:26:37 EST 2008

Alright, Alan.  I'm not sure my addition will be of any practical use to you because it's all based in the Southeast, but I hope you find it entertaining and that you feel better soon...

The latest peach I've grown  is Indian Blood Free and it also happens to be my favorite.  It ripens in August in this part of North Carolina, so that would probably translate into early October in the Northern states.  It has a unique flavor that I enjoy.  However, it has some problems.  It requires extra spraying because of its long ripening time, so if I don't keep on top of things, I get no fruit.  It is also quite susceptible to bacterial spot, so although the blossoms are large and beautiful in the Spring, by late Summer, it looks pretty ugly.  The fruit are also not beautiful.  The skin stays green overall, with some red blush.  Nevertheless, it is the only late peach that I've kept thus far.  The others are good, but not worth the extra trouble.  I haven't tried the two you mentioned, however.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Anton