[NAFEX] apple trees from seed

Drevniok colleendaly at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 20 18:33:30 EST 2008

        I  have been starting seedlings from Fameuse apples which are
raised in a small heritage apple orchard. I just put the seeds in the
fridge today
    with a little damp peat moss. This is the 3rd year that I have done
this;  if it is like the other years in about 20 - 30 days about 90%
    of the seeds will start sprouting. I will then put them in small
plastic pots (early January) and then transfer them to larger pots in
April. I let them
    grow for a year in the larger plastic pots. In the Fall I will bury
them and the follwoing year place them in a nursery. The apples I started 3
    years ago will be put out to a permanent spot in 2009. It is really
quite easy.

         The reason I chose Fameuse is because I have read that they
will produce apples very much like the fruit they came from.
    Does anyone have hard evidence that this is, in fact, true? I guess
I will know for sure in about another 5-7 years.

            Peter Drevniok
            Gatineau, Quebec zone 5; some planting in zone 3/4