[NAFEX] apple trees from seed

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 17:34:34 EST 2008

I've noticed apple seeds germinate better in cooler conditions than you'd think.  A cool-to-chilly room is better than a warm place.

I began sprouting apple & pear seeds partly as an outlet for compulsiveness, partly because there never seems to be small amounts of rootstocks available commercially when I want them.  So why not sprout many seeds and select some good guesses to use as rootstocks.  This argument is also valid for those finds (chance-seedlings & name-lost) which are rejected from any rootstock I've tried-- "self to self" graft rule says a plant SHOULD graft to it's seedlings.

The variability in the growing seedlings is interesting.  Growth rates, branch habits, red colors, disease & insect problems, fall color.  I offer extra (or don't fit the plan) seedlings which outgrow their nursery rows to neighbors who might want wind-breaks & wildlife plantings.  I also offer them grafted goodies, and I'm very clear about describing the difference.

Pretty peaceful in sWI; we can't get into much trouble when we're shovelling snow all the time!