[NAFEX] peach hardiness

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Fri Dec 19 23:11:45 EST 2008

Mark,  We had weather like that in Dec of 1983.  It damaged the peaches, but
didn't kill them.  The flower buds are most easily killed.  While it means
no crop the following year, it doesn't mean no crop ever.  If you are
curious, wait till you have some above freezing weather and clip off a small
twig.  Look for a black ring under the bark.  The black ring from the Jan
1985 freeze remained in peach wood for the life of the trees.  I read a book
about a couple who planted an apple orchard in Tennessee back in the early
60's I think.  The wife said it was so cold one winter that the apple trees
got black rings in their wood.  She said it was so cold that she thought if
one of the family ever had to have a limb amputated, the drs would find a
black ring in their bone.     Donna