[NAFEX] Sweet cherries

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Dec 19 13:36:16 EST 2008

> Is anyone out there growing sweet cherries on the Great Plains?
> Blackgold, Whitegold, Kristin, etc?  Some of these are listed as hardy
> to zone 4, but our dry winds are tough on marginal plants.

I did plant one Black Gold and one Lapins sweet cherry (on Gisela 5
dwarfing rootstock) last spring, but obviously, I don't have any useful
information on them yet.

I'm doubtful, too, but I'm at the point where I'll have more fruit than
I can possibly eat, even if only half of my plantings survive. And I
thought it would be fun to try. (Note that my 3-year-old Northstar sour
cherry, not far away from these, died early this summer, for no apparent
reason.)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I am an optimist. It does not seem to be much use being anything else. -
Winston Churchill