[NAFEX] Cox

Martha L. Davis martha_davis at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 19:40:52 EST 2008

> On Dec 14, 2008, at 8:29 PM, derry&bill wrote:
>
> I've received an email from a home gardener in Minnesota. She grew up in
> Switzerland and her father had a few apple trees. She wants to know:
>
> 1) if Glockenapfel, Belle de Boskoop and/or Cox's Orange will grow in
> zone 4

I am in high elevation (7,400ft) New Mexico.  Cool Summers with a short season.  Cox does well here.  I was under the impression that it is limited both by summer heat and winter hardiness where it is cool enough in the summer, therefor hard to grow in most places without a large body of water moderating the temperatures.  Theoretically we occasionally get test winters with -30, I haven't been here long enough, so far most winters the low is -10.

Martha