[NAFEX] paw paw seedlings

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 09:07:17 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/15/2008 7:52:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
alandhaigh at gmail.com writes:

> Nevertheless I purchased a single [pawpaw] seedling from him to check it
> out.  I'd appreciate some input from objective sources.

First some back ground before I give my answer to your question. Two of my
favorites are Sunflower and Prolific. Pawpaws seem to perform differently in
various areas. Example Davis here isn't nearly as good as Sunflower. However I
get great reviews of Davis from growers in more northern areas and Davis was
bred and selected by Corwin Davis in Michigan.

I have a number of hand bred seedlings in one row, about 60 of them. The seed
and pollen parents are a mix of Prolific, Davis, Sunflower and Overleese, all
very good varieties in my opinion.  They are planted 5 feet apart which is
too close. These trees are about 5 years old.

This year, especially, I evaluated them for size, disease (fungus)
resistance, crop and fruit size and a few other characteristics. Taste is subjective
therefore I made no effort to rate them #1, #2, #3, etc. There were maybe a dozen
experienced pawpaw visitors who walked the row with me and tasted them and
generally agreed on taste judgment.

Now to answer your question based on my experiences. Quite frankly I rate
less than 50% good to outstanding in this row, everything considered. If you have
room for only a few trees, definitely go with grafted varieties that perform
well in your area. Check with experienced growers in your area. I would not
rely on seedlings of any variety.

Jerry