[NAFEX] I need Aronia melanocarpa

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Fri Dec 12 10:02:05 EST 2008

I got 2 plants from Hidden Springs.  One of them bloomed the next year, though I got no crop (2007 freeze).  This the 2nd year I got a few berries.  I put them into some apple wine, but also put some in my mouth.  I just pressed the juice out of them with my tongue, and they had a nice but elusive flavor.  Reminded me a little bit of wild black cherry.  I am thinking of putting in more.  When I asked people familiar with the jellies Hector's wife makes, some said Aronia was their favorite, others liked it mixed with other flavors.  No one said they disliked it.  The bush is quite attractive, with shiny leaves.  The berries are large enough to be worth picking, which I am sure is important to Jim.    Donna