[NAFEX] russet apple varieties

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Thu Dec 11 21:40:31 EST 2008

My favorite russet is Ashmead's Kernel.  The fruit is hard, has an elegant sweet, spice flavor palate, stores well and is relatively disease tolerant.  I bag apples, so the apple rust doesn't bother the fruit.  My tree, on Bud 9, bore 2-1/2 bushels this October. The tree is four years old.  I also have Pitsmaston Pineapple and don't like it as much as Ashmead's.  Pitsmaston softens in storage and doesn't have the complexity of flavors that Ashmead's has.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Doreen Howard
Zone 4-b IL-WI Border, under a foot of snow cover already.