[NAFEX] russet apple varieties

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Thu Dec 11 18:10:13 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> It's gotten a bit slow here so it seems a good time to renew the
> frequently brought up subject of relative merits of apple
> varieties- this time I'd like to focus on russets.  The reason for
> this is that I'm relatively inexperienced growing russets and am
> interested in other members experience.

I've had Golden Russet, Roxbury Russet, and Ashmeands' Kernal.
Golden Russet is good, very sweet, otherwise not terribly exciting.
Roxbury Russet was a little grainy and had a slightly off or strange
flavor when I had it.  I'd heard glowing reports about it, but
decided not to try to grow it after that.  Maybe I just had a bad
one.  Ashmeads' Kernal is my family's favorite apple.  Very sweet,
very tart, very crunchy, and with a nice apple flavor.  It's also
small and ugly and sometimes lopsided, and I'm told it's a shy
bearer.  Alas, I can't seem to ripen them here in eastern Mass.
because the critters eat them as soon as they are edible, and well
before they are really good.  (Plenty of time left in the season,
just too much competition.)

Ginda