[NAFEX] I need Aronia melanocarpa

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 12:18:52 EST 2008

I read a paper a couple of years ago where some reseachers looked at the
genetics of Aronia. 'Viking' and 'Nero' were genetically identical to each
other, and produce seedlings that are also identical or nearly so
(apomixis?). These two clones (sports?) are tetraploid. Wild Aronia are both
diploid and tetraploid. The tets all seem to self-pollinate and produce
nearly identical seedlings, while the dips are out-crossers and produce
variable seedlings.

Hal