[NAFEX] apples for drying

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Dec 8 12:04:50 EST 2008

"Maiden Blush" is an old variety that was grown extensively for drying.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :
On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Lisa Almarode wrote:

I've been unhappy with the apples we dried this year - they were too
tart (Goldrush) or utterly bland and tasteless (mystery apple #2), and
since we have opportunity to put in a few more trees, I'd like
suggestions for good ones for drying.  Ideally late, large, and disease
resistant (although we've had next to no disease problems with the
apples, just lots of worms)

The online resources I found don't seem to talk much about drying -
unless that's counted under "cooking"?

The new tress will be semidwarf, and have to deal with clay soil,
blackberry roots, and summer heat and sun, and it's along a road some
distance from the house, so might get some pilferage - a less beautiful
apple might be less tempting.

Lisa in Oregon
USDA zone 7 - Sunset zone 7 - 1800'

sites.