[NAFEX] Apple pressing-hydraulic

Erdman, James ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Mon Dec 8 09:19:45 EST 2008

I thought I would share pictures of the cider press that we built using
a hydraulic jack to provide pressure.  The basket is stainless steel
with perforations.  The parts that contact the juice that aren't
stainless steel are made from a heavy plastic cutting board.  A local
metal fabrication shop made up the stainless steel parts--the tub and
the pan it sits in--from material he had on hand, so it was a bit
cheaper than ordering all of the stainless steel.  We use a disposal to
grind the apples, and removed the outer insulation to keep it running
cooler.  Note that the hydraulic jack is under the basket and pan, so
there is no chance of oil leaking into the juice.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r190/WisJim/?action=view&current=2006
SeptWiscoy043.jpg
http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r190/WisJim/?action=view&current=2006
SeptWiscoy038.jpg