[NAFEX] Regarding Haskups

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 04:44:49 EST 2008

Glad to help Glenn.  Most of my honeyberries have come from OGW.  I have found that there are substantial differences in flavor, productivity, form and vigor among the OGW honeyberry vars from them, but that it is also advantageous to have a variety of plants.

One other comment.  I have run into people that claim to not like the flavor, but my personal experience is that it is tempting to harvest them too early.  I wait until I see a plant start to drop a few berries, before picking (from that plant).  This results in best flavor, which is quite good.

Also, one of my plants insists on going dormant early each year, then throws a few leaves and flowers in the fall.  This year I had a single honeyberry harvested in late September so it wouldn't surprise me to find that we will eventually have a fall bearing honeyberry as well.