[NAFEX] Apple pressing

hwparker at verizon.net hwparker at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 19:13:00 EST 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 9:59 AM, D Stubbs wrote:

> I am trying to picture 'divider boards'  with a basket, are these
> crosslaid maple strips (like are used for stacked pressing) but cut
> in a circle to fit inside your basket?
> If so do you do only use an outer sack - or individual cheeses each
> with cloth inside the basket?
> I am glad to hear a screw press can  get pomace so dry!

I use a piece of hardwood ply that is routed both ways to make a
lattice and then sealed to keep out moisture.  I use a very heavy
nylon net, think the material used on backpacks with a name of Leno
Mesh from the Rainshed , to build my bag and use the same to enclose
the divider boards inside the bag that lines the slatted basket.  Same
material could be used as cheese presses but that is not what I have
done. However it is porous so that the juice is not clear but cloudy
which is the way I like it - it has lots of flavor and 'body' but does
settle out somewhat in due time.  However I do like my juice to have
some body.

I agree w/ Claude that the juice has to have a way to get out which is
why I subdivide  the slurry in my tub w/ divider boards, trying to get
the same affect as his cheeses. If I was starting again from scratch i
might consider the cheese  method as my forefather did years ago
(making cheeses about 4 ft square as I recall), but I am happy w/ what
I have and being basically lazy don't figure I will switch systems
now. There is no way I can blow out the cloth I am using now.

Great pictures from Claude.  I use a liberal amount of high quality
lithium grease on my threads and thrust bearing; but find the
calculations interesting.

Hank  Zone 4 NH 1600 elev