[NAFEX] apple rootstocks

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 11:57:31 EST 2008

Ginda, anchorage refers to stability against wind- resistance to blowover.
Trees on fully dwarfing rootstocks generally must be attached to a stake or
trellis.  From M26 up trees can often be grown without support but
sometimes while young are also susceptible to being blown over- particular
when soils are saturated and the wind strong.

As far as rootstock affecting fruit size and yeald , M7 gets the thumbs down
on this score-  111 gets much better revues.  Although I have a lot of
experience with both rootstocks the relative quality and quantity of the
fruit in a home orchard situation doesn't seem that important.  With proper
pruning and thinning both perform well enough but 111 sometimes takes about
an extra year to bear.

On at least 2 occasions I have read catalogues of small fruit tree
nurseries- Ames and Apples of Antiquity, that state a preference for trees
on 111 over 7.  These nurseries are on opposite sides of the country and
grow trees in much different conditions.